Monday, November 9, 2009

What makes me Sarah Durston

What makes me me? well I think that I have been Influenced in a lot of ways, by my family, friends, programs I've been involved in but I think that I just am who I am.


I was born into a family of eight, so I have five siblings... and four older brothers. Most girls when I tell them this moan sympathetically and say "awwww you poor girl!" In the book, to kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee, Atticus says "you can choose your friends but you sure can't choose your family" this is true but I wouldn't trade my family for anything. I love my big brothers. The oldest one is twelve years older than me and the one next to me is two years older than I. They are gentlemen, for the most part, and look out for me. They've for sure shaped who I am today: they "toughen me up" as my brother Sam says (I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing) and help me understand guys better. I also have a younger sister and she has changed who I am in that she makes me more altruistic; less selfish because I constantly have to share my things and spend my time with her.


I was home schooled up until high school excluding grade three. Although I only had two school friends, (my sister and my brother), I did figure skating and made some good friends there, as well as at my church. Most of the friends that I made at these places are the same ones I have today, although I have met so many more awesome people at high school as well. My friends help me through my day and have helped me come out of my comfort zone. I used to be really shy and I think I sometimes come across that way, but If you asked someone who really knew me you would find out that I am quite the contrary.


When I was home schooled, really the only social life I had was at skating and my church. These places have helped me overcome my shyness. And my church has partly established what I believe in.


Yes these things have helped shape part of who I am, but really I just am just the girl God created me to be. Right now I'm a fifteen year old girl with evening blond hair and blue eyes, born in Winnipeg, half British, half German/Ukrainian. I live in a big red house out in the country with a family of eight, I'm a figure skater, and I can't stand fake cheese. I'm just Sarah Pauline Durston.

No comments:

Post a Comment